Rightly named devbhoomi or the abode of gods, Uttarakhand has a unique sense of deep seated spirituality which makes it different from the rest of India. The destinations of Gangotri and yamunotri are two of the most ideal destinations for every pilgrim and travel lover. There is no dearth of places to visit in this place of incredible wonders. The entire region is replete with deep green rolling meadows, snow capped mountains and thick thriving forests of oaks, conifers and rhododendrons which serve as a home to a thriving range of flora and fauna. The clear blue skies blended with a feeling of deep spirituality will definitely be one of the best options for your vacation.
Here are a few places which you can include in your Gangotri Yamunotri tour package:
Places to visit in Gangotri:
- Pandava Gufa – this ancient cave is located at a mere distance of 1.5 kms from Gangotri right on the Uttarkashi – Gangotri road. It is believed that this is the place where the pandava brothers are said to have stayed for a while and meditated on their way to mount Kailash. The beauty of this place is unmatched and filled with picturesque and enthralling vistas. The path leading up to the cave is extremely enchanting and filled with boundless natural beauty.
- Gaumukh – this adventure destination is located at a distance of 19 kms from Gangotri and is the source of Bhagirathi river. Literally translating into ‘face of a cow’, this place is one of the most popular trekking routes. Sitting at an elevation of 13,200 feet above sea level, this is famed for being the second largest glacier in India, first being the legendary Siachen. The trek is 3 days long and should be done during the summer months of May to October.
- Tapovan – this idyllic hamlet is located at a distance of 23 kms from Gangotri and is known for its magnificently lush green meadows and sits at an elevation of 4,460 metres above sea level in the Garhwal Himalayan region. The name literally translates into ‘forest of penance’, this region is filled with immense greenery, clear streams and colorful flowers which sets the perfect vibe for performing meditation.
- Harsil – sitting amidst the serene natural beauty of Uttarkashi district, Harsil is located at a distance of just 24 kms from Gangotri and at an elevation of 2,620 metres above sea level. This quaint hamlet is known for its dense forests, apple orchards, tranquil surroundings and a beauty which is unmatched to anywhere else in India. the valley is nestled amidst the snow capped mountains and gives you the opportunity to sit back, relax and enjoy the quiet solitude.
- Kedartal – also popularly known as Lord Shiva’s lake, this pristine and glimmering lake is situated at a distance of 17 km from gangotri. Located in the magnificent district of Uttarkashi at an altitude of 4,912 metres above sea level this lake is also famed for being the highest glacial lake in Uttarakhand. the trekking route leading up to this lake is strewn with colorful plants and scenic sites which makes it also one of the most beautiful treks in Uttarakhand. the clear water of this lake reflects the towering and majestic surrounding of snow clad peaks of thalay sagar, Meru and Bhrigupanth which is truly a sight to behold.
Places to visit in Yamunotri:
- Janki Chatti – known for being a sister for Hanuman chatti and located at an elevation of 2,700 metres above sea lvevel janki chatti is known for its natural hot water springs. You can stop at Janki chatti and relax there on your way to the main dham shrine of yamunotri. Surrounded by mesmerizing mountain from all sides this hot water spring is believed to carry medicinal properties which cures you of all your physical and mental ailments.
- Saptarishi Kund – sitting majestically at a distance of 10 kms from Yanumotri mandir this high glacial lake is known for being the original source of River Yamuna which is fed by the massive Champasar glacier. This peaceful lake can be reached after covering a distance of 2 to 3 days and is home to the rare Himalayan flower called Brahma lotus. The importance of this place lies in the fact that the seven important rishis had performed their penance there.
- Kharsali – situated right off the route to janki chatti at a distance of just 1.5 kms and can be reached easily during your visit to Yamunotri dham. This place is primarily known for being a picnic destination among families and friends. the entire region of Kharsali is also home to a number of naturally occurring hot water springs, rolling meadows covered in conifers and oaks as well as a feeling of unmatched tranquility. Also known as ‘khushimath’ the quaint hamlet of Kharsali serves as the winter abode to the the presiding deity of Goddess Yamuna.
- Barkot – located at a distance of almost 4 hours from the main dham shrine of Gangotri, this undisturbed hill town is an ideal location for everyone looking to escape for a while from the maddening city crowd. Sitting at an elevation of 1,220 metres above sea level amidst the gloriously snow clad peaks of Banderpooch this place is also a popular destination among outdoor sports enthusiasts and trekking lovers. this quiet village has managed to stay untouched and offers its visitors some of the most encapsulating views of the surroundings.
- Divya Shila – sitting at an elevation of 3,000 metres above sea level the rock pillar of divya shila is situated right next to the holy surya kund and is another ideal attraction for every pilgrim there. As per the age old ritual pilgrims and devotees visit this rock pillar structure, offer their prayers there prior to entering the temple. also popularly known as the ‘slab of divine light’, this pious slab has been of incredible importance to the devotees and pilgrims.