Kanyakumari is a small village in the Tamil Nadu state and around 100 kms from Trivandrum which took almost 4 hours by road to enter the city which also know as tip of India. It is also a type of place where people can visit any time of the year to see the breathtaking scenic beauty.
I visited Kanyakumari in the month of January to experience the India’s one of the awesome beaches and the Vivekanand rock for which i have heard a lot during my school days. I was travelling from Delhi and it took me 3.5 hours to reach Trivandrum via fight covering around 2800 kms from northern to southern part of India.
The Kanyakumari beaches are considered as one of the most beautiful beaches in India, where lakhs of visitor comes every year to experience this divine panoramic view. For me it was really a blissful movement to see from my naked eyes meeting three different oceans called Indian Ocean, Arebian Sea and Bay of Bangal.
Kanyakumari Distance Chart:
Trivandrum – 100 kms (around 2.30 hrs drive)
Kochi – 300 kms (around 6.15 hrs drive)
Rameshwram – 300 kms (around 6 hrs drive)
Munnar – 360 kms (around 7 hrs drive)
Alleppey – 250 kms (around 5 hrs drive)
Important Sightseeing Places:
- Kanyakumari Devi Temple (4.30 to 11.59 AM & 4.00 to 8.30 PM)
- Suchindram Temple (4.30 to 11.59 am & 4.00 to 8.30 pm)
- Circular Fort (9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
- Gandhi Mandapam (7.00 am to 7.00 pm)
- Light House (9.00 am to 1.00 pm & 2.00 to 4.30 pm except Monday)
- Vivekananda Wandering Monk Exhibition (8.00 to 11.59 am & 4.00 to 8.00 pm)
- Vivekananda Pictorial Exhibition (9.00 to 1.00 am & 5.00 to 9.00 pm)
- Sun Rise (Check weather forecast)
- Sun Set (Check weather forecast)
- Bay Watch Water Theme Amusement Park (9.00 am to 6.30 pm)
- Wax Museum & 3 D Art Gallery (7.00 am to 8.00 pm)
- Bay Watch 9D Theatre (9.30 am to 6.30pm)
Sea shells made Souvenirs – There are lot many small shops who sell items like jewellery made from sea shells, dakshinmukhi sankh, multicoloured stones and sea sands, traditional south indian sarees and many more.
Spices – you have an option to buy different types of fresh spices and even packed garam masala which i think every Indian house use often.
Points to note before planning your trip to kanyakumari:
- To Vivekananda rocks the last boat leaves at 4 PM, then plan before 3 PM so that you will have enough time to buy your tickets.
- If the sky is cloudy then you can not see the sunrise and sunset. So, check the weather forecast beforehand.
- In this small city you will not find good restaurants.
- You will have fun if you are driving to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum, but due to narrow road your driving will be slow.
- Don’t miss the sunrise, set your alarm according to the weather forecast.